Thursday, January 20, 2011

EARL Canteen, 500 Bourke, Lt Bourke St courtyard, Melbourne

Still suffering vivid flash backs from my Tuesday lunch at Laksa Me (I may perhaps be unable to ever eat pork again) I tentatively stepped out of the office for Wednesday lunch, desperate for my spirits to be lifted.

I am happy to report that my spirits have been lifted, to soaring heights. And this is because of four little words - twelve hour roasted lamb. The place where this little miracle is available is Earl Canteen, tucked away in the new courtyard complex at the back of 500 Bourke St. The place itself, which is only open for breakfast and lunch, is a sleek looking café with white walls and floors that spills out onto the courtyard giving it a very open and light feeling. It is obviously meant to be ‘upmarket takeaway and café’ following the example set by Café Vue. Except it’s better than Café Vue. The owner has done his time at places like Circa and Vue de Monde, and it shows, as the service is efficient and professional and the little touches (brown sugar to go with the excellent coffee, small vases of flowers on tables, crisp brown aprons on waiters) make this place feel classy and soothing at the same time. I really can’t fault the service – today the place was pumping but the few staff handled it like pros, and everything came quickly and was served with a smile. Personally, I think the food is better than Café Vue (sorry Shannon but you have spread yourself a little too thin these days) and Earl is, along with the service, a whole lot less pretentious. Café Vue always made me feel like I was lucky to be eating there, and that I needed them more than they needed me. But HA! I don’t need you anymore Café Vue, I have a new boyfriend and his name is Earl.

But I digress – back to the lamb. It comes atop a crusty baguette filled with honeyed baby carrots and gremolata. It is soft and falls apart at the touch. It has the colour of milk chocolate, but tastes like a piece of meaty heaven. God damn, it is so so tasty. It is also $15, which many would be horrified at. ‘A sandwich for $15!!! They must be bloody joking’, I can hear my father scream. But when it is this good, its worth it. My fellow lady who lunches goes for the crispy skin free range Otway pork belly, apple, cabbage & fennel coleslaw and wilted silverbeet baguette ($13.5). She assures me it is delicious, and by the way she guarded the crackling that came with her baguette (she could see in my eyes that I was just waiting for a chance to snag a piece), she was obviously telling the truth. When I recover from my Laksa Me experience and can eat pork again I will go back and try it myself.

I finished off with a coffee, again delivered in a few minutes and perfectly made. No chocolate sprinkles on top – the Italians would be proud – and it is just the right temperature.

Oh Earl, tonight I will go to bed dreaming of your baguette. My husband will not be happy.

Xx
Ms Melbourne

EARL Canteen on Urbanspoon

No comments: